Saturday 21 September 2013

I'm not in Kansas anymore Toto ...

Having never been to India before I leave Australia a day early to give myself 24hours to have a look around Mumbai and get my bearings before I head to Kutch.
 
I arrive Friday night about midnight and the first thing that hits me when I get off the flight is the humidity – it feels like 30 degrees!  Even at midnight the traffic is pretty full on and there is a constant beeping of car horns.
 
Saturday morning I got up early and hired a driver for the day; this is actually cheaper than doing a day tour so I highly recommend it.  Brazil, (my driver & tour guide for the day) laughs as the 4 pages of suggested sites, shops and activities I have collected from the internet, friends and the hotel visitor guide – but promises to see what he can do!
 
The traffic is incredible – seriously non-stop and with absolutely no regard for any form of traffic rules!  Walking right in the middle of the cars and buses are people pushing carts, walking with huge bags or drums on their heads and even the odd cow or two!
 
 

 
 
Everyone I have met has been really lovely and helpful – with equal parts curiosity and cautiousness.  I have never been asked to have my photo taken with so many different people (and for those that know me know I much prefer to be on the other side of the camera).  Those that speak English are quick to come and find out my name and why I am here, giving me lots of local tips about places to go and things to see, and those that don’t speak English nod and smile.  Obviously there are a number of beggars and I find it heart-breaking when the mums with their babies or young children knock on the car window and ask for money – but Brazil sternly tells me I need to “harden up”.
 
What I love the most is the colour – the ladies look so amazing in their colourful saris & traditional clothes – & all of them covered in so much bling!  What I don’t love is the rubbish; let’s face it – India is never going to win any recycling awards!

 


 
Clearly it was a whistle stop tour given I only had only had one day to look around but I am impressed by how much Brazil managed to get me to see … I will try and share a few fast facts & tips about the places I went to (most of which I have shamelessly plagiarised straight from the hotel’s tourist guide & internet!)
 
  • Dhobi Ghat (Washerman’s Place): over 200 families operate an enormous open-air laundry – dirty laundry from all over Mumbai is brought here and hand washed by dhobis (washermen) which is a profession handed down from generation to generation. They earn 100 rupees per day each (about $2)
 

 
 

  • Mani Bhavan Museum, home of Gandi: which is the house that was the focal point of Mahatma Gandhi’s political activities from 1917 – 1934
 
 
 
 



  • Taj Mahal Palace; gorgeous hotel, I recommend going for breakfast and having a dhosa (savory crepe)

 
  • Gateway of India: Just out the front of the Taj Mahal Palace is Mumbai’s most famous monument, it was built to commemorate the visit of King George V and Queen Mary to Mumbai in December 1911.  Note: this was the place I was most photographed and asked for money …
 
  • Victoria Terminus: Train station that transports thousands of people each day – and the final scene in Slumdog Millionaire


  • Marine Drive & Chowpatty Beach; there is a great view from the InterContinental’s Dome Bar on the roof ... and the drinks aren't bad either!
 
  • Malabar Hill & the Hanging Gardens

  • Haji Ali Dargah: Both a mosque and a tomb built in 1431 by Sayed Peer Haji Ali Shan Bukhari – it can only be accessed at low tide and appears to float above the water.





Those that know me know I couldn’t resist going into a shop or two … here were just a few of the ones I stuck my head into; FabIndia, Good Earth, Curio Cottage, Ensemble, Bombay Store & Bombay Electric. 


Yep – it was a big day!  I am now ready to for the real ‘adventure’ to begin as I make my way to Kutch tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment