Sunday 22 September 2013

Fingers crossed for vaccines & my traveling pharmacy of pills ...

Well I am off to remote India …

I attract more than a few stares as I board the flight to Bhuj as I am fairly sure I am the only foreigner  onboard - and while I am dressed appropriately and covered up, there is no hiding my lily-white (Australian winter) skin or my blond hair!
I am very grateful that Judy offered to pick me up from the airport – telling me she would be easy to spot as “the only white woman in a Sari” … and she was correct.  Judy has lived in Kutch since 1990 so she speaks fluent Gujarti (the local language) and she makes the perfect tour guide as we head through town. 
There was an earthquake in Bhuj in 2001 and you can see the old and new buildings inter-mixed representing those that were left standing vs. those that have been re-built.  After the earthquake the town planners determined where the new roads should go – clearly by just looking at a map as you can see houses & properties that have literally had their corners chopped off to make room for the road!
Shankarbhai (our driver) skillfully weaves his way through the traffic - dodging the cows, goats, trucks, rickshaws & carts to take use to the lovely home of the KRV accountant.  Here it is common for four or five generations to live together (I love you Mum, but I also love that you have your own home!) so I met his grandmother, mother, daughter and grandson!  I was so impressed with his daughter, she is currently studying computer technology but is also planning to study forensic criminology in the future – how impressive is that, particularly given such a small percentage of women in Kutch can read or write!
We then make our way to Tandu-Vandh, which is rural village in the Mundra District near the Gulf of Kutch - about 2 hours out of Bhuj. This is where Kala Raksha Vidhyalaya (KRV), the design school is located, and the place I will call home for the next two weeks.











 

KRV is a purpose built, set on 8 acres of land, with outdoor studios for each of the crafts, an indoor classroom and rustic accommodation for the students, faculty and staff who all live at the school during two week class sessions.   The design course goes for twelve months, throughout which time the students come for 6 x two week residential sessions.   They run male and female courses separately, conforming to the social norms. 
Not knowing what to expect I was pleasantly surprised - the accommodation is simple but perfectly adequate - I even have my own bathroom!  Judy and most others sleep outside given it is so humid … I’ll let you know if I change my mind but for now I am staying indoors under the safety of my mosquito-net!
Good-night.

No comments:

Post a Comment